I’ve come to realize….first of all I must admit that I’ve stolen this from someone else’s blog. At least the "I’ve come to realize" part. Reading what she wrote almost a year ago has made me consider a few things myself. And as I am daily getting closer to the dreaded 5-0 I think I’ve lived enough to "realize" some pretty important things. Not that I think anyone really cares what I’ve come to realize, but I care and I’m actually the only one that matters. So here’s my list.
1. I’ve come to realize that really, no one elses’ opinion matters except my own. I may ask you what you think about something, anything from my outfit to my hair color to who you are planning on voting for and maybe I’ll even ask you why you feel the way you do. But, in the long run, the only person I need to impress is myself. And if I"m happy, that’s all that matters.
2.I’ve come to realize that you can’t can’t count on ANYTHING turning out the way you’ve planned/hoped/wished. It just isn’t going to happen.
3.I’ve come to realize that once your children reach a certain age, you just can’t play the "Mom card" any longer. It just doesn’t work…of course, guilt still works.
4. I’ve come to realize that my grandchildren are my life these days. If I go more than two or three days without seeing them, I’m lonely. If, as happens more often than not, I don’t see them for a week or better, I feel empty.
5. I’ve come to realize I will ALWAYS be the oldest child with all the responsibilities that entails. Why this is so when all my siblings are adults also is beyond me, I just know that this is how it is and I’ve basically accepted it. I don’t like it, but I’ve accepted it.
6.I’ve come to realize that a real marriage is based on trust and without it, you shouldn’t stay married.
7. I’ve come to realize that I trust my husband, totally and completely to not just love me, but to care for me (even when I’m being grumpy and just want to be left alone), to trust me, and to always come home…to me.
8. I’ve come to realize that you can’t change anyone. You can show them different ways to do things, but they are the ones that have to want to change.
9.I’ve come to realize that if I have the money for something I really want, I should get it and not worry about the other things. They will ALWAYS take care of themselves, the "want" list can only be taken care by me.
10. I’ve come to realize that I am a very strong and independant woman. I don’t need anyone’s approval (not that I don’t appreciate it from time to time), I don’t need to make anyone happy except myself, and I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself.